Prepare To Apply For A Patent With A Respected Attorney’s Guidance
As you move forward with hopes and plans to patent one or more inventions, please understand the importance of the fundamentals that come before actually filing an application for a patent. Such fundamentals include:
- Verifying that your invention is patentable
- Understanding that inventions – not just ideas – are patentable
- Conducting a patent search to ascertain whether a patent holder already exists for the product or process that you have in mind protecting
- Working closely with an experienced, proven-effective intellectual property (IP) attorney for best results
Attorney Roland Tong welcomes your inquiry about how to patent one or more inventions. He has the technical skills and experience necessary to help you protect a patentable invention. He can advise you on other forms of IP protection, as well, such as trademarks.
What Can And Cannot Be Patented
A good place to start with any patenting idea is to confirm whether something is patentable. According to the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), utility patents can be obtained for new, nonobvious and useful inventions that fall within the following categories:
- Article of manufactures
- Compositions of matter
- Improvements of any of the above
Other types of patents available are design patents and plant patents covering certain plant varieties.
Things that cannot be patented include the following:
- Laws of nature
- Physical phenomena
- Abstract ideas
- Creative works, such as literary, dramatic, musical and artistic works
- Unuseful or morally offensive inventions
Tests of patentability include determinations of the following characterizations of true inventions:
- Are they novel?
- Are they nonobvious?
- Can they be adequately described or can someone of ordinary skill in the art make and use the invention based on your clear instructions?
- Can you claim yourself to be the inventor in clear and definite terms?
Once you have answered these questions sufficiently to verify that your invention is patentable, seek step-by-step guidance from a knowledgeable IP attorney through the application process. Attorney Roland Tong has successfully gotten many clients on the path to profitability with solid patents of their innovative products and processes. He can do the same for your patentable invention.
To Schedule A Consultation
Call 949-298-6867, text 949-331-2889 or send an email inquiry to get the conversation started about patenting your invention. Mr. Tong is here to answer your questions about patents and help ensure that your efforts are fruitful as you prepare to file a patent application or take legal action to protect your patent from infringement.